A secretly recorded phone call between embattled Cardinal Angelo Becciu and Pope Francis has been played in court during a Vatican corruption trial.
The recording was made without the Pope’s knowledge by someone in a room with Becciu in July 2021, shortly before the start of the trial and while the Pope was still recovering from a major bowel operation, a- they said in court.
Reporters were asked to leave the room as the tape played, but lawyers who heard it said Becciu asked the pope to confirm he had authorized a payment to help free a nun who had been kidnapped in Africa.
Lawyers said the pope seemed puzzled and confused as to why Becciu was calling and that the pontiff had repeatedly asked the cardinal to send him a written note about what he wanted.
In 2018, Becciu, then the Vatican’s third most powerful person, hired co-defendant Cecilia Marogna, a self-styled security analyst, to free a Colombian nun kidnapped in Mali by an al-Qaeda-linked group.
Marogna, 44, received 575,000 euros ($A885,045) from the Secretariat of State, the Vatican’s most important department, in 2018 to 2019 when Becciu worked there.
The money was sent to a company she set up in Slovenia and she received part of it in cash, the court heard.
Police discovered that Marogna had spent much of the money on personal use, including luxury designer clothes and visits to spas.
She is charged with embezzlement and Becciu is charged with embezzlement, corruption and abuse of power.
They and the other eight defendants have denied any wrongdoing.
The trial’s chief prosecutor, Alessandro Diddi, told reporters on Thursday that he had begun a new tangent to his investigation in which he suspects Becciu of criminal association.
He said he filed the details with the court.
Becciu’s lawyers said in a statement they were not aware of any new charges. The statement did not comment on the secretly recorded phone call.
A year before the trial began, Francis fired Becciu on suspicion of nepotism. Becciu denies doing anything to help her family financially.
On Thursday, Becciu faced his main accuser, his former senior assistant, Bishop Alberto Perlasca.
Perlasca told the court how he was ordered to make payments he considered unusual.
He said he sent 100,000 euros to a charity in Sardinia, not knowing at the time that it was linked to Becciu’s family.
Becciu said the charity helped create jobs in a poor region.
The trial revolves around the purchase of a building in London by the Secretariat of State.
The 10 defendants include former Vatican employees and Italian intermediaries who the prosecution says extorted from the Vatican.
- Cardinal On Trial For Misuse Of Church Funds Taped Call With Pope Francis
- Vatican auditor and deputy sue Holy See
- Pope hails ‘genius’ Pell transparency push
- Vatican imposes new investment policy amid financial scandal
- Pope Francis Names Nurse Who He Said “Saved His Life” As Personal Aide