Former US President Donald Trump confirmed on Truth Social that the Biden administration informed his lawyers that he had been charged.
“The corrupt Biden administration has informed my attorneys that I have been charged, apparently for the Boxes hoax,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
Trump wrote that he was summoned to the federal courthouse in Miami on Tuesday.
He did not provide any evidence.
Reuters was unable to immediately verify details.
Trump’s attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The US Department of Justice is investigating whether Trump mishandled classified documents he kept after leaving the White House in 2021.
Investigators seized about 13,000 documents from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida nearly a year ago.
One hundred were marked as classified, even though one of Trump’s attorneys had previously said all files with classified markings had been referred to the government.
Trump has previously defended his retention of documents, suggesting he declassified them while president.
However, Trump did not provide evidence, and his attorneys declined to make that argument in court filings.
- Reports Trump notified he is target of documents probe
- Trump faces 37 counts in classified US documents case
- Biden says he ‘doesn’t know’ what documents were found in private office
- Biden ‘surprised’ by discovery of classified documents found in his private office
- US President Biden on Defensive Over Classified Documents