A man was arrested in 1982 for the stabbing and murder of a 15-year-old girl in California.
Gary Ramirez, 75, of Hawaii, was charged with the crimes Tuesday, 40 years after Karen Stitt’s body was found next to a cinder block wall in Silicon Valley, authorities said.
Mr. Ramirez was linked to the rape and murder after a Sunnyvale detective learned of the possible identity of the killer last year, Santa Clara County court documents have revealed, according to NBC News.
The Hawaiian resident grew up around Fresno, Calif., and later served in the US Air Force in the early 1970s. He was arrested Aug. 2 in Makawao on Maui and now faces possible extradition on multiple counts charges, including murder, rape and kidnapping, the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
“Karen Stitt was last seen by her teenage boyfriend walking towards a bus stop in Sunnyvale at night. The next morning, her naked body was found hidden behind a…
- Men charged over Sydney stairwell death
- NFL-Niners DE Omenihu arrested for alleged domestic violence
- Ron Jeremy to be declared unfit to stand trial due to dementia
- Suspect in Idaho college killings to waive extradition hearing
- Man fighting extradition now facing further requests for transfer to US