Luka Modric’s Croatia had a frustrating start to the Qatar World Cup with the 2018 finalists held to a stalemate by a stubborn Morocco.
Chances were scarce with Real Madrid’s Modric among those closest to opening Group F, which also includes Belgium and Canada meeting later today.
The Atlas Lions contained Croatia well for most of Wednesday’s game but also failed to break through in Al Khor.
A long-range attempt from Ivan Perisic went over the crossbar before Croatia closed just before intermission, Nikola Vlasic was denied by goalkeeper Yassine Bounou from close range after a quick move, and Modric then blazed from the edge of the surface.
Modric, 37, and his team also ran out of ideas in the second half and their goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic had to pass a fierce but not very precise free kick from Paris Saint-Germain defender Achraf Hakimi in the 65th.
Chelsea winger Hakim Ziyech, back in the Morocco squad under new manager Walid Regragui, also failed to make a decisive impact as the match ended 0-0 third in the game. tournament.
- Morocco shackle Luka Modric in goalless draw with Croatia
- Croatia blunted in Morocco goalless draw
- FIFA World Cup 2022 Live, Morocco vs Croatia Live Score: Luka Modric’s Men Eye Good Start | Football News
- Morocco full value for Belgium upset
- FIFA World Cup 2022 Morocco vs Croatia Live Score: Croatia eye strong start against Morocco, 1st half underway