Scuffles broke out between football fans in Melbourne’s Federation Square as Australia lost to France in the World Cup.
Bottles were thrown at a few French supporters early on Wednesday morning, while a video posted on social media shows fist bumps between opposing supporters.
There are also reports that a French flag was stolen from some Les Bleus supporters by Australian supporters.
Hundreds of people had flocked to Federation Square to watch the Socceroos take on France in their first game of the World Cup.
There were wild and happy scenes shortly after 6am, with Australia scoring the game’s first goal in six minutes.
But the excitement was short-lived, with France equalizing soon after and winning 4-1.
- Aussie live viewing of first World Cup game descends into chaos
- French ‘friendly’ perfect lesson: Arnold
- France wary of Socceroos: captain Lloris
- Martin Boyle in pre-World Cup injury scare
- Socceroos in defensive reshuffle at cup